Friday, December 02, 2005

Its the mongoose

I've been wanting to get a bicycle for a while now, but have put it off due to the fact that we really don't have much storage space in our place. It would either have to be kept in the spare room, or on the balcony upstairs. Putting in the room would mean that we would not really be able to move in the spare room, as its not the biggest of rooms - and putting it outside on the balcony, would mean lugging it up two sets of stairs each time I used it. Then there was the option of clearing out the space under the stairs - but again, where would I put all that stuff.

Anyway, I discovered that the guy who lives in the unit below us was moving out, and there is a storeroom next to his unit that would be available to use. That's when the decision was made.

Right, so would it be a road bike, or a mountain bike? In my mind, and being the type of guy who likes to spend time outdoors, and go exploring, I figured a mountain bike was the way to go.

I ended up ordering a Mongoose Tyax Super, 2005 model. Its classified as entry level, but falls into the sport range, which is one up from the leisure range, and one down from the racing range. Its exactly what I need - not too expensive, something that I can use on the road if I want (it has lockable front shocks), as well as on various off-road trails. Its what they call a "hardtail" model, with an 18 inch frame, rapid fire shifters, and Shimano Deore rear derailleur components. I should take delivery of the bike on Monday 5th Dec if all goes according to plan - an early xmas present to myself... :-)

No comments: