Thursday, May 10, 2007

Facebook

If you haven't yet discovered Facebook, then you'd better, quick! Its another social networking utility that allows you to quickly discover and connect with friends from all over the world, and its currently sweeping through friends and acquaintances around me. Here's a little scenario:

Wednesday: I send Phil an invite to LinkedIn (a networking utility for establishing and maintaining business connections and relationships). Phil in turn sends me an invite to Facebook. I sign up on Facebook and discover that K's sister, who lives in Perth, has also recently signed up. So i add her as a friend.
Thursday: I'm going through the functionality of the site, and stumble across a "find friends" tool. Quickly type in my school, and find that Richard has also signed up to Facebook within the last day or so. I add him as a friend. I then go through the list of companies that I have worked at, and find Dave has a profile. I add him as a friend. Bear in mind now, that these are all people that I see fairly regularly, and besides Dave, nobody has mentioned that they have recently signed up to Facebook.
Friday: I am asked by Francois to be his "friend" on facebook. I do some more searches, and come across Matthew, a guy that I did my honours with and haven't seen for 8 years. He also happens to be friends with Dave's friend Andrew. I know Andrew well, so add him as a friend. Matthew sees this through facebook and adds me as a friend. Marc, another guy from my honours course adds me, and I send Ronald an invite. Suddenly, within the space of 3 days, I have connected with people that I know, from the UK to Australia.

So the point of the post of course, is to a). make you aware of this online wave of social networking utilities that is sweeping across the globe, and b). to encourage you to get your own Facebook profile, and connect.

No comments: