Sunday, March 25, 2007

Close to home...

Its been a worrying past couple of days. I'm not usually one to be negative about the country in which I live - or to complain about things like the crime situation. I usually look at the positive things - the opportunity and potential. But this past week has been different. There have been a couple of close to home incidents that have been on my mind - and have started to spur a bit of a negative sentiment. I won't go into the detail on these incidents, but they range from:
- News of the murder in his home of my honours supervisor and lecturer at Wits.
- A house break in and physical attack at the home of a friends mother.
- The arrogance of a smash-and-grab incident to the car in front of us the other night on our way back from dinner club.
- The news of a car hijacking at another friends house this weekend.

As I said though, its not in my nature to be negative about this place. Just extra cautious I guess. Its when incidents like these all happen within the space of a week that you start to question things...

No comments: